Rugby League news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Joey Johns' Drug Hell

Post by Beaussie »

It appears the AFL is not the only code with a drug problem. How about Johns' original pathetic excuse as to how the pill got in his pocket. :roll:
Andrew Johns: My 12-year drug hell
Exclusive by Dean Ritchie
August 30, 2007 07:37pm
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 21,00.html

IN A shock confession Andrew Johns has revealed he was in the grip of drugs and alcohol throughout his whole playing career.

"I took the drugs to escape from the pressure and get away from being a football player," he told The Daily Telegraph tonight.

The league legend also admitted that he is battling depression.

In an extraordinary about-face from his earlier assertion that he had no intention of taking an ecstasy pill, which he said an unknown person placed in his jeans pocket at a London club, Johns came clean.

"I was going to take the pill for sure," he said.

"I'm not looking for sympathy, I put my hand up. I've done the wrong thing."
yeenar69
Seniors
Seniors
Team:
Been liked: 0

Post by yeenar69 »

pretty trippy hey :P
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Joey has now revealed he used drugs throughout his entire career. :o

With that in mind, how effective is the NRL's drug policy?
LisaJ
Reserves
Reserves
Team:
Has thanked: 0

Post by LisaJ »

its not effective is it. If someone like Johns can get away with using drugs throughout his entire career then the drugs policy is something of a joke.

Look at the AFL and its drugs policy, while its a joke, Cousins was caught as were many other high profile players..

I no longer look at Andrew Johns and think he's a fantastic footballer, just like I don't view Ben Cousins in the same way, both men have their issues, but when does the league and AFL say, enough is enough and start to put more proactive meausures into process to help players like Johns and Cousins to address the issues which plague them.
ddzoo
Team:

Post by ddzoo »

Clearly there would have had to have been a cover up by the NRL or the Newcastle club, as this should NOT have been able to go on for as long as Joey says that it did. Shameful, the touted 'next immortal'.
Macarthur Saints
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Macarthur Saints »

Next Immortal, nahhhh... Others are ahead of him.....

He says he did it in the off season, maybe they didn't detect any performance enhancing drugs and his only bad habit was the green stuff?
yeenar69
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by yeenar69 »

well I think some empathy is needed here ... as a footballer I rated him and well at least he has come out public and drugs and depression are being discussed over this matter and that can be a good thing
Scorger Man
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Richmond Tigers

Post by Scorger Man »

If life was that tough being a professional sportsman, making heaps of money, being treated like a god etc. then he should of got a job in the coalmines like his old man. Yeah there is high pressure and expectation of you if you are playing at the top level I don't doubt that, but if it was getting to the point of "having" to take drugs to deal with the fame, then cut your losses, get a job in the real world and move on.
yeenar69
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by yeenar69 »

WTF fame and fortune cannot make anyone happy I think it is a bit more than that

One should walk a mile in someone elses shoes before throwing stones
Scorger Man
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Scorger Man »

Sorry Yeenar I personally believe that is crap. If it didn't make you happy then why would you do it???

I would love to walk a mile in his shoes- the talent, the money, the lifestyle and as I stated before, if it got too tough for me to handle then I would get out - end of story. If I was sensible enough with my fortune I would have put some away for life after footy as I know my career wouldn't last forever.

As far as the depression and the bipolar, if he had this all before he got caught with drugs, why does he now feel the need to tell everyone about it?? Is it a reason or an excuse??

I didn't hear Sargent, Walker, McGuiness or Field spilling their guts about how tough it is being a footballer - they would be the first to tell you straight up that they stuffed up.

Instead of blaming the pressure of fame and fortune, cop it sweet and make your best efforts to move forward - everyone else has to.

Thats it, I'm fired up now, I'm changing my avatar
Scorger Man
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Scorger Man »

Tried to change my avatar to this mad pcture that expresses my view on the matter at hand but it was to big for this website...ohh well back to Fat Albert
yeenar69
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by yeenar69 »

Hey but look where Field is now ... must be tough for sure now .... I dont agree with you on this one ... I know it is a choice thing and not always do we make the right ones