Hay Walks Out on Roos

Australian Football news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Hay Walks Out on Roos

Post by Beaussie »

Gee poor bugger. At least he can now focus on his health and general well-being.
Jonathan Hay walks out on Kangaroos
24 February 2007 Herald-Sun
Mike Sheahan and Daryl Timms
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 22,00.html

Hay has walked away, preferring a healthy golden handshake rather than more public humiliation.

He retired on Thursday with two years still to run on a $1 million, three-year deal.

He is believed to have accepted a $250,000 payout in full settlement of the outstanding $660,000.

Roos coach Dean Laidley said last night Hay made the right decision to quit the club.

Speaking after the Roos' NAB Cup win against Collingwood at Carrara, Laidley said Hay's health was more important than his football career and that "we have to look after this boy's life".

"I spoke to him last night and he informed me of his decision," Laidley said.

"It was pretty disappointing because of where he was at and where he was last year, he was in a pretty dark place.

"And you know he fought his way back and my only concern now is not Jonathan Hay the footballer but Jonathan Hay the person. We have to look after this guy, he's got a hell of a life in front of him."

"We got to this point of the season and he was going to have put himself out there and might have made it more difficult for him and we have to look after this boy's life.

"We're a player short now for the rest of the season and that puts an extra burden on each player. But push it all aside, it's about this man's health."

The former Hawthorn defender and his manager, Perth-based Peter Christie, are believed to have advised the Roos of the decision at a meeting with AFL Players' Association officials.

While Hay's depression is the official explanation, it is believed he thought his position at the club untenable after the constant public debate about his pay.

In August, Hay revealed he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 2003 and that the problem had resurfaced during the year.

While the Roos pledged to support Hay, it emerged this month they wanted to revise his contract on the grounds he had not disclosed the illness when he transferred from Hawthorn.

Last night Hay wished his team well in a club statement.

"I would like to publicly thank (coach) Dean Laidley and (football manager) Tim Harrington who have helped me deal with difficult issues during my time at the club."

The club statement added: "(Chief executive Rick) Aylett said the club was enormously disappointed that Hay could not continue his career, but recognised his health must be the No. 1 priority.

"Aylett said Hay was a talented and brave footballer who had contributed to improved community understanding about bipolar disorder."

The Roos, committed to paying Hay $340,000 this year, wanted to slash his contract after his poor form and erratic behaviour last year.

Representatives of both parties were tight-lipped last night, quoting confidentiality clauses.

Christie said he was not in a position to comment.

The Hay of 2006 bore little similarity to the defender who won All-Australian selection at Hawthorn five years earlier.

Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett, a former chairman of anti-depression group Beyond Blue, said last night he was unaware of the reasons behind Hay's sudden retirement.

"I only hope he wasn't forced into retirement because of his illness because bipolar is manageable," he said.

Kangaroos assistant coach Darren Crocker last night strongly rejected suggestions the club had backed Hay into a corner. "I wouldn't think there was any guilt on the club's part whatsoever," Crocker told 3AW. "The club have been trying to work through this issue with Jon over the last few weeks." Crocker admitted the coaches and players were surprised by Hay's retirement.

"Obviously from Jon's point of view he just felt he didn't want to go back that way in regards to his football," he said.

Former Hawthorn football manager John Hook said he felt sorry the situation had come to this. "For a kid who has shown much and was an All-Australian and then started going down the slippery dip the following year (2001), it just shows how bad those illnesses are," he said.