Then and now: what they said

Australian Football news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Then and now: what they said

Post by Beaussie »

SMH wrote:
http://smh.com.au/news/afl/swans-now-th ... 06394.html

Robert Walls, The Age and Channel 10 commentator

April 27: "The Swans are playing ugly, unattractive football. When you lose playing this way in a northern state, pressure mounts. To make our game flourish in Brisbane and Sydney, you need to give Queenslanders and New South Welshmen aspects of our game that they like."

Yesterday: "They are playing a lot better, their football is much more attractive to watch. They are much more attacking and Barry Hall himself said they have changed their game plan."

Andrew Demetriou, AFL chief executive

April 30: "I think it would be fair to say in the early part of the season we saw some games that weren't attractive, and I think they've been described as ugly. And probably there would be a brand of football being played on the other side of the border which is not particularly attractive. And unless the Swans change that style of play, they won't win many football matches. I don't think there's anything we can do, because we wouldn't intervene. But I think unless there's a change in the manner and the style in which they play, they will lose more games than they win. And they will probably start to identify that."

Yesterday: Could not be contacted for comment.

Rohan Connolly, The Age

May 3: "It seems an unnecessarily conservative mindset, particularly given that opponents are now more prepared to play Roos's team at its own game, refusing to be frustrated by the rugby-like nature of a match against Sydney, eventually out-Swanning the Swans."

July 25, 2005: "If West Coast doesn't end up winning this year's flag, there's a fair chance it will be the Crows or Swans who've beaten them to it."

Mike Sheahan, Herald Sun

June 2005: "Roosy says we don't understand, that he is intrigued and bemused by criticism from outsiders. We say he needs to show more faith in his men. Let them fail playing on instinct rather than fail playing to a plan that is both unrewarding and boring."

July 25: "[Sydney's win over West Coast was] more proof that we often get over-excited, overly negative early in a season. The Swans, remember, were 2-4 after six rounds … Ugly? Not any more. It's now deemed to be tough, unrelenting and admirable. And effective."
Must say, I like a few others around these parts am also guilty of the same negative talk about the Swans earlier in the season. I tend to agree most with Mike Sheahan's latest comments above.

Have you, like most commentators had a change of heart Croc or others for that matter?
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

I must say i always stood by the swannies and always knew/believed how good they can play. Roos on the other hand has really pissed me off a few times and his game plan was rubbish. But I still respect him to some extent as a coach, i think he does work hard at it and definitely has his men on the right track at present.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
crocodileman
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by crocodileman »

Then and Now (Continued)

Crocodileman (April 2005)

"The Swans are crap and are rooted in 2005."

Crocodileman (July 2005)

Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

crocodileman wrote:
Then and Now (Continued)

Crocodileman (April 2005)

Crocodileman (July 2005)

Fact remains the Swans beat Brisbane as well as the predicted premiers West Coast. I guess the Lions and Eagles are crap and rooted in 2005 too.
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Beaussie, the Swans beat the Lions by kicking a goal after the final siren after having been outplayed for three quarters and only after Brisbane had 3 players injured and taken off in that quarter. They never led all night and were the recipients of some fortuitious bounces, free kicks and dubious umpiring decisions. They have used up all ther good luck and it's downhill from here I'm afraid.

You are on record here as saying the Swans are rooted this year, and deep down, you know that they are. No amount of 12 or 13 goal hauls will help them come September (in fact, the Swans are still a chance of missing the 8 alltogether!!)

You are right about one thing though. The Eagles are no certainties this year and I would say at this stage my money would be on either St Kilda or Brisbane winning the flag.

You clearly know that the Swans can not kick a winning score and he statistics clearly show that they cannot win.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

How about a bet? Swans will not only finish higher than the Lions, but they'll also defeat them again this season in 2 weeks time in Sydney. You want a wager on that?

As for your lame excuses as to why the Lions got beat earlier in the season, well, they're just that, lame in the extreme. Face facts, the Lions could not maintain a 32 pt lead going into the final quarter. Very worrying signs if you ask me particularly when taking into account their form throughout season 05. They are hardly a team capable of winning a premiership this season, final 8 finish and nothing more. As for St Kilda. :?> :(/

Should Sydney defeat Adelaide this weekend, I think the Swans could then be considered a real premiership threat. This weekend is the real test for the Swans.
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Well your man Robert Walls says they (Brisbane) have a very good chance of winning the Premiership, and you quote him in the opening post of this thread. Are you now saying he doesn't know what he's talking about?

The Lions you defeated in Round 4(?) are a very different team to the one playing now.

I don't like double-edged wagers, but I would love to have an even $300 about the Lions beating the Swans at Telstra Stadium in 2 weeks.

Are you up for it? Or are you merely blowing wind?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

crocodileman wrote:
Well your man Robert Walls says they (Brisbane) have a very good chance of winning the Premiership, and you quote him in the opening post of this thread. Are you now saying he doesn't know what he's talking about?
Robert Walls has been proven wrong with his comments during the St Kilda v Sydney game earlier this season. Against Melbourne last week he rated the Swans a real chance of premiership glory this season.
crocodileman wrote:
The Lions you defeated in Round 4(?) are a very different team to the one playing now.

I don't like double-edged wagers, but I would love to have an even $300 about the Lions beating the Swans at Telstra Stadium in 2 weeks.

Are you up for it? Or are you merely blowing wind?
The Swans are also a very different team to the one that defeated the Lions in round 4. Just look at their recent victories against Top 8 teams and their ladder position today.

I'll take you up on that wager. $300 that the Swans will defeat the Lions in 2 weeks time. Now who's merely blowing wind?
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Done Beaussie - thanks for your challenge! Your wager has been accepted.

I will PM you my account details after the game!
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

crocodileman wrote:
Done Beaussie - thanks for your challenge! Your wager has been accepted.

I will PM you my account details after the game!
Just like the Lions, very cocky and arrogant. The $300 you'll no doubt soon owe me will be of great assistane in paying out pickles, the likely winner of the AFL tipping comp. I'm sure pickles will enjoy the prize money even more knowing where it came from. :_<>
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

I don't think Pickles would agree. In fact, I know that he is dead set scared of me slitting his throat as I told him in a PM I sent him a few weeks back.

Since that time I have been reliably informed that Pickles now wears a knitted scarf and has purchased thick curtains for his home.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

That's no way to welcome a new moderator to the TF team. Shame on you.
Pickles
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by Pickles »

Croc the only reason i havnt posted here recently is because there has been shit all to post about.

[**edit by moderator for writing pure unadulterated garbage. Warning given.**]
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Beaussie wrote:
That's no way to welcome a new moderator to the TF team. Shame on you.
Is this the same person who is now a moderator in both of our Fight Clubs despite this comment he made when asked if he wished his site to merge with ours:-

"footy feedback will not be merging with talking footy atm. as much as i would like to have better admin controls and stuff like that the friendly community at footy feedback probaly wont make the move and if they were i couldnt see them staying to long. the 2 main factors why i choose not to merge are
- i dislike the way talking footy members treat me
- the whole "fight club" idea is stupid and people dont goto forums to fight with other members about trash."

So Pickles, are you a hypocrite or just a dunderhead? Accepting to be a moderator of forums you don't have any time for.

Beaussie - what a mistake. I still cannot find any thread started by Pickles on Fight Club (Fan -v- Fan), so this is how he is rewarded.

This could be the last nail in the coffin for this site!
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

crocodileman wrote:
Beaussie - what a mistake. I still cannot find any thread started by Pickles on Fight Club (Fan -v- Fan), so this is how he is rewarded.
OK, fair point I had forgotten about that. I would still think pickles is suitable for the other boards where he is mod. He certainly doing something right with his own forum in terms of member numbers.