Southport Sharks (Gold Coast)

Australian Football news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Southport Sharks (Gold Coast)

Post by Beaussie »

With the rumours on the weekend that the NRL is again looking at the Gold Coast for expansion, is it time that the AFL made similar moves? From what I've heard the Gold Coast has many Victorians moving up each year and Southport since 1996 has been pushing for the next AFL licence. With that in mind is the Gold Coast ready for an AFL team? Bear in mind also that Auskick numbers have grown rapidly in QLD over the past few years.
crocodileman
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by crocodileman »

I believe that AFL has a better chance of succeeding on the Gold Coast than does Rugby League. Undoubtedly, both codes will face large hurdles if they are to be going concerns.

The Southport Sharks have been a strong, successful team for years. (Warwick Capper used to play for them in the 80's!) Their success could be used by a joint venture Melbourne club and get going faster.

Also, a lot of Gold Coast residents are from Victoria and bring with them a love of Australian Football. The main feeder group for a Gold Coast League team would be disgruntled Broncos Fans!
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Is it true that the Southport Sharks have one of the biggest clubs in QLD. From what I've heard they have alot of funds saved to bankroll any new team that may relocate.