Family or Footy?

Australian Football news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Family or Footy?

Post by Beaussie »

What a dilemma. Wizard Cup GF or your brothers wedding where you are the best man. I think family should come before footy and it seems Carlton are easing the pressure on Stevens with Pagan stating family must come first in this instance. Wonder if the loss of Nick Stevens will have any affect on the result of the GF on Saturday night.
Herald Sun wrote:
Family must come first for Stevens
08 March 2005 Herald Sun
Mark Robinson, Damian Barrett and Rebecca Williams
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 22,00.html

NICK Stevens will today tell Carlton whether it's footy or family.

Despite Carlton desperately wanting him to play in the Wizard Cup final against West Coast on Saturday, coach Denis Pagan eased the pressure yesterday when he said family must come first.

Stevens must decide whether to play at Telstra Dome or be best man at his brother Justin's wedding, which is being held in the Blue Mountains outside Sydney on the same day.

"His family is going to be around a lot longer than football is, so whatever happens happens, we'll carry on from there," Pagan said.

"I can't make it more succinct than that. Family has got to come first. We'll respect his decision."

Stevens last night told the Herald Sun he would inform the club today of his decision – which he insisted had not yet been made.

"I will do it all tomorrow. I'm still thinking about everything," Stevens said.

"I really don't know (what I will decide)."

Stevens' other brother Danny, who also had Stevens as best man at his wedding, yesterday acknowledged it was a tough period for the family.

"I suppose it is in a way, but obviously Nick's got to make the decision and whatever he goes with we understand," Danny Stevens said.

"Justin thought he planned it for the right time, but it's just one of those things that happened."

"(He's) pretty upset. He's going through a tough time," Danny said.

Asked what he would do, Danny said: "I don't know. I wouldn't like to be in the situation. But it's Nick's decision and whatever he does we will all support him. He'll make it and what's meant to be is meant to be."

Stevens has been close to best on ground in the past two Wizard Cup matches and is a key to Carlton's chances of victory over the Eagles.

The Blues yesterday offered their support, adding they wouldn't try to influence Stevens' decision.

"He's going to have a chat with his family, his brother and parents. He'll make a decision and talk before training (today)," Pagan said. "We'll respect whatever decision he is going to make. It's very much a personal thing."

It's the second best-man hiccup of the pre-season. Kangaroo Nathan Thompson missed the quarter-final against Port Adelaide because of a long-standing wedding commitment.

The Blues hope skipper Anthony Koutoufides will be available to play, although Pagan conceded the club wouldn't know until late in the week.

Koutoufides is managing inflammation in his knee, and has missed the past two Wizard Cup matches.

ESSENDON coach Kevin Sheedy would allow a player to miss a pre-season final for a family commitment.

"Yes, I would. It wouldn't worry me," Sheedy said. "If it was my sister getting married, I'd be probably going."
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

I heard about this. As a professional player it would cause some headaches. Personally though, given permission from the club of course, I wouldn't miss my bro's big day for the world.
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80