Eddie McGuire - Night GF Inevitable

Australian Football news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Eddie McGuire - Night GF Inevitable

Post by Beaussie »

SMH wrote:
It's inevitable: McGuire puts night grand final in focus
By Caroline Wilson and Melissa Ryan
February 18, 2005
http://www.smh.com.au/news/AFL/Its-inev ... 49337.html

The prospect of a night grand final moved one step closer to reality yesterday when Collingwood president Eddie McGuire thrust the debate back onto the AFL's agenda.

McGuire, whose employer, the Nine Network, is an AFL broadcaster, confirmed he had put forward the proposal to a relatively enthusiastic response at yesterday's annual general meeting of the AFL. He said last night: "I think it's something that's probably inevitable."

Although AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou has said a night grand final would take place "over my dead body", the bid to reopen the debate was embraced by the majority of clubs at yesterday's meeting, at which 13 of the 16 club presidents voted to expand the AFL commission by one to include a woman for the first time.

While only about half the clubs indicated significant support for a night grand final, the fact that the push has come from the clubs is notable. In the past, the clubs have opposed the move.

McGuire is understood to have pointed to the impressive success of the Australian Open tennis final, staged at night this year for the first time, and the move by the NRL to play its grand final on a Sunday night - a move that attracted significant ratings numbers in Melbourne.

"It's always exciting at the end of the year when the annual ratings are released to see the grand final and footy at No.1," McGuire said. "The added attraction of the extra money it could raise could see that money distributed among the clubs, which would see more tickets become available to the club members."

The strongest opposition to McGuire's proposal came from former VFL chief and Kangaroos president Allen Aylett, who disputed that recent grand finals had lacked atmosphere due to the large proportion of attendees not supporting either club. The Bulldogs were also against the prospect of the move.

Channel Ten sports chief David White confirmed that he had raised the prospect of a night grand final with Demetriou, who had always rejected it.

"I think a grand final at night would rate higher," said White, whose network holds the rights to AFL finals until the end of 2006, "but whether or not that makes it a better commercial proposition I'm not sure. We would have to be careful not to jeopardise what has traditionally been a very successful all-day event."

The AFL will soon reopen negotiations for a new TV deal, with chairman Ron Evans conceding yesterday that the league's determination to increase its coverage in the tough but lucrative Sydney market could cost the AFL money in terms of the next financial deal.

Evans also raised concerns over the possibility that the revamped tribunal system - which will operate on a points basis, similar to the NRL - could allow a suspended player to win the Brownlow Medal.

He was of the "firm" belief that the Brownlow Medal should remain ineligible to suspended players, and said it was a matter of closing off the anomaly in the points-rated system that could mean a player found guilty would escape suspension because of a good record while another with a poor record would be banned for an identical offence.

"I think it's a question of sorting out the potential anomalies rather than the fundamental concept of whether it's best and fairest," Evans said. "My personal view is that the Brownlow Medal should be the best and fairest."

AFL football operations manager Adrian Anderson agreed it should remain a best and fairest award, and suggested ways to overcome the anomalies. "We have to decide: one, do we leave the system as it is, if you're suspended you're ineligible?" Anderson said. "That has an anomaly. Two, whether you'd set the points at what you get at the tribunal, say 100 points. Or, three, do you set the points at a level like 125 points, where if you took an early plea you wouldn't miss a game. There are three clear options there."

Yesterday's meeting also discussed aggressively targeting western Sydney as part of a goal to double the league's operating profit within five years.

Evans said more needed to be done to promote the code throughout NSW. That would include more games at Telstra Stadium and in south-east Queensland in coming years, with a long-term view to clubs being based in those areas.

I'm with Eddie on this one and am all for a night GF.

If a night GF means more $$$ in the AFL's pockets I'm all for it. That money could be well spent promoting the game in the northern states.
crocodileman
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by crocodileman »

I've got no problem with it and believe that it would make a great spectacle!
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

I am quite disgusted with both of your views crocman and beaussie. Dollaras dollars dollars seems to be the theme. The NRL fuukced up majorly by moving their GF from arvo to night in my opinion. Yes prime time made more bucks but left thousands of diehard supporters devastated. You dont fix what is not broken!!!

AFL has never followed NRL and now is not the time. Yes prime time has raked in $ but fukk where does tradition stnad for you two chumps? Seriously start respecting yuor elders and what they believe in!!!

You pair of contemporary typical ignorant wankers!!! The GF belongs with a BBQ, family, and the arvo... so you can get pissed enjoy the game and get to bed early before work!!! And for those chunps who argue it might be before a public holiday go and geeeeet fuuuucked!!! GF's are not under lights FULL STOP!!! The game should be played in its purest and best form under the natural light of DAY!!!! Not artificial/promtional light, seriously do you guys really follow the game or do you follow a fake spectacle that makes money for some billionairre?

I AM DISGUSTED!!! AND YOU TWO CALL YOURSELVES AFL SUPPORTERS!!!!!!

I could go on but am not bothered. Explain your point without using corporate dollars as an excuse! I hope one of you sees what sport really is!

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

King-Eliagh wrote:
I am quite disgusted with both of your views crocman and beaussie. Dollaras dollars dollars seems to be the theme. The NRL fuukced up majorly by moving their GF from arvo to night in my opinion. Yes prime time made more bucks but left thousands of diehard supporters devastated. You dont fix what is not broken!!!
Get with the program, sport is business these days. How do you think development and promotion of the game is funded? How do you think football players earn a living? :roll:

As for the night NRL night GF leaving thousands of supporters devastated, don't you think that is little over the top?
King-Eliagh wrote:
AFL has never followed NRL and now is not the time. Yes prime time has raked in $ but fukk where does tradition stnad for you two chumps? Seriously start respecting yuor elders and what they believe in!!!
You'll actually find the AFL has followed a few things first implemented by the NRL. For instance, this year with set Tribunal penalties, copied straight from the NRL Judiciary process.
King-Eliagh wrote:
You pair of contemporary typical ignorant wankers!!! The GF belongs with a BBQ, family, and the arvo... so you can get pissed enjoy the game and get to bed early before work!!!

With the AFL GF on a Saturday, how many people do you think would be affected by having to work the next day? Saturday BBQ with drinks whilst watching the VFL GF, then prime time AFL GF. Sounds great to me. :D
King-Eliagh wrote:
And for those chunps who argue it might be before a public holiday go and geeeeet fuuuucked!!! GF's are not under lights FULL STOP!!! The game should be played in its purest and best form under the natural light of DAY!!!! Not artificial/promtional light, seriously do you guys really follow the game or do you follow a fake spectacle that makes money for some billionairre?
I've been to both night and day games and must say the atmosphere at night games is always much better than the day games. For that reason and of course the extra income for AFL HQ, I'm all for the night GF proposal.
King-Eliagh wrote:
I AM DISGUSTED!!! AND YOU TWO CALL YOURSELVES AFL SUPPORTERS!!!!!!

I could go on but am not bothered. Explain your point without using corporate dollars as an excuse! I hope one of you sees what sport really is!
You really have no concept of reality do you. As I said earlier, sport is a business these days. Corporate dollars and of course the dollars of supporters, members, merchandise etc are what funds the administration of sport. Without money there is no professional sport for us to all enjoy.

I generally hate things Eddie says, but in this instance I'm with Eddie all the way. Bring on the night GF.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

I could go on but am not bothered. Explain your point without using corporate dollars as an excuse! I hope one of you sees what sport really is! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice try beaussie. :lol:

xman wrote:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

You loose, plain and simple. What a weak arse response Cybill. I suppose you had nothing else hey? :damnfunny:
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

You didnt get it I think. Beaussie all that tripe you produced was exactly what I asked you not to, read back and take the goggles off :) . You cant explain your point without using corporate dollars as an excuse.

Twas a nice try though :lol: :lol:

xman wrote:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

You live in pixie land with no concept of reality. Enjoy your local park footy because as I said, you have no idea about the big leagues.